Pavlodar region is in the northeast of the Republic of Kazakhstan and located in steppe and semidesert areas. The Irtysh River flows in the territory of the region from the south to the north. The Southern Siberian main line stretches from the east to the west. From the north Pavlodar region borders on Omsk, from the northeast – on Novosibirsk. The Altay Territory of the Russian Federation is to the east. East Kazakhstan and Karaganda regions are to the south, while Akmola and Northern Kazakhstan regions lie to the west. The territory of the region makes 124,8 th.km2.
Pavlodar region – a large industrial centre of Kazakhstan. It is a diversified industrial complex oriented to production of electric and fuel energy, alumina, refining production, mechanical engineering, light and food industry, building materials.
The center of the region – Pavlodar city is one of the oldest and most cities of the Republic. It is located along the bank of the Irtysh River, the largest river in Kazakhstan.
Pavlodar – a center of culture and art of the northern Kazakhstan. Pavlodar people preserve monuments of history and culture. Museums, exhibitions, presentations of cultural achievements are very popular here. The city has a rich history and old cultural traditions. Pavlodar Priirtyshye is the native land of famous men of science, culture and arts. Kanysh Satpayev, Alkey Margulan, Sultanmakhmut Toraigyrov, Shapyk Chokin, Zhumat Shakin, Mashkhur Zhusup Kopeyev, Dikhan Abilev, Shaken Aimanov, Zharylgapberdy, Zhayau Musa, Isa Baizakov and others, glorified not only our region as well the Republic, were born there. The city has two drama theatres, four Palaces and Houses of culture, three parks, five museums and many historical and architectural monuments. Among them four is the most beautiful: minaret mosque of Mashkhur Zhusup, Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Catholic Church and central embankment. The developed service, modern hotels, restaurants and cafes, billiard halls, sports clubs, cinemas and other entertaining centres are also here.
Among the modern monuments of architecture – Blagoveshchensk Cathedral. The cathedral was constructed in 1999. Pavlodar architects took one of the cathedrals of the Moscow Kremlin as a basis. Bells are cast in Moscow, at the plant of Likhachev. There are nine belles. The biggest one weighs-1024 kg. The church utensils are made in Sofrino city (Moscow region), partially at the furniture factory in Pavlodar. The big architectural rarity is a monolithic dome. The gilt cross over a dome is mounted at height of 51 metre. The openwork arches of the temple and a bell tower make the temple as a unique architectural ensemble.
The favourite recreation zone for people and guests of the city is embankment of the Irtysh River. The top terrace is a square and the bottom terrace is a beach. The project was developed by the institute “Pavlodar-grazhdanproekt”.
Lenin street represents the «old city» where ancient buildings of the former business centre are.
The House of the merchant Sorokin. It was constructed in 1890 for the rich cattle dealer. It is a high house with big windows and a spacious cellar. Forged lattice decorate the front stairs. The first in the city museum of local lore was in that building in 1944. Now there are funds of the regional local history museum.
The People’s House. It is well-known in Pavlodar since 1902. The People’s house had a tearoom, reading room with a library, a hall for 160 seats, a stage for performances and Sunday school. Charity evenings and theatrical performances were organized there as well. The People’s House was a center of education and culture.
The House – museum of art song of Maira Shamsutdinova was opened on January, 30, 2001. The museum familiarizes visitors with life and creative work of our fellow-townswoman, well-known singer and composer of 20th – Мaira Shamsutdinova. Since childhood Maira started to sing, accompanying on the accordion, wrote songs. She had written some songs which entered the known ethnographer A.V.Zatayevich’s collection «1000 and 500 songs of Kazakh people». The museum is located in the house of the merchant Abdul Fattah Ramazanov.
Vladimir school – one of the first brick building in the city which was constructed for money of A.Derov. 3-form school in Pavlodar was opened in 1872 and moved to a new building only in 1888.
Since 1910 this school became known as Vladimir because next to it there was construction of the Vladimir cathedral. Now it is the building of pedagogical college of B.A. Akhmetov.
The pride of Pavlodar is the architecture monument – Trading house of the merchant A.Derov. The building was constructed in 1896 according to the project of the architect P.Batov for money of the known merchant of the top guild and honorary citizen A.I. Derov. It was one of the longest constructions in the merchant part of the city. The Trading House – a large building, constructed in the Siberian “modern”.
Special attention was given to framing of windows, doors, top parapets and balconies. The walls are decorated with figured rosettes. The top part the building is decorated with turrets with openwork forged grids. The second floor is decorated with the balcony. Now the building joints the former Filatov’s house. Here is the exposition of the regional local history museum.
Trading rows along Lenin street. They were constructed in 1903-1904 years after the fire in 1901 when wood constructions – stalls and a church had been burnt in the market. The market place was a business center of the city. The circus of Koromyslov placed there. During the World War II, former trading rows were given to the factory “October”. The cinema “Kolos” was opened in the northern part of the trading rows in 1956. Now the building is at the private property but according to the law RK, the owner has to preserve the historical façade during reconstruction.
Building of the Russian drama theatre. Before these two buildings were shops of the merchants Surikov and brothers Balandin. The houses were constructed in the nineties of XIX century. After 1920 the cinema was situated in one of the houses and since 1969 – the cinema “Pioneer’. After the fire in 1982 the building was repaired and transferred to the drama theatre of Chekhov. Twice rebuilt house of the merchant Balandin was given for the Red Army club in 1925. then he had the name “Working club”. Now it is the main building of the drama theatre of Chekhov.
House of the merchant Okhapkin. One of large buildings of old Pavlodar is in Lenin street.
It is a typical construction with elements of modernism. The décor of the building is marble vases and parquet on the roof.
Before 1917-1920, S.Ya.Okhapkin let it on lease to different insurance and bank offices. After the twenties up till now, a medical institution is here.
The monument to Lenin was erected on the former marker place on July, 1, 1928. Around the monument there was a park. All city holidays started celebrating in the park near the monument to Lenin. That place was the favourite recreation zone and people called it “Lenpark”. Start of GPW was declared in the Lenin Park on June, 22, 1945. «Lenpark» was only park in the city to1955. In 1961 students from Moscow presented sculptures of animals from the fairy tales to the park.
Memorial house-museum of D.P.Bagayev. The photographer and ethnographer, founder of the local history museum, creator of the unique chronicle of Pavlodar Dmitry Polikarpovich Bagayev lived and worked in the house. The photo salon with a glass ceiling, a big panel and some pieces of furniture are kept to the present days. First silent films started to show in 1906.
The well-known electrotheatre “Furor” was the best in the city. The brick building was located in the center of the city. In the cinema there was a cafeteria. The ticket cost was from 20 to 50 kopeks. Now this building is in private property.
During the fire in1901 the wood constructions of the city and the mosque have burnt down. A new brick mosque was built for money of the merchant Fattah Ramazanov in 1905 instead of the burnt one. The mosque had a high minaret with a silver moon. The mullah read namaz there during many years. The mosque was painted in white colour, therefore people began to call it «White mosque». Restoration and major repair of the building started in 2005.
The monument of architecture and history – The House of Osipov was constructed in 1907. The one-storied, brick building constructed in the traditional style of merchant architecture. Now the building is in private property.
The other pride of Pavlodar is the House of the merchant Zayzev. It was built in 1897 by a request of the owner of the brewery Pyatkov. Later he was a head of the city. The big, wooden house is decorated with patterns, on the roof there are metal parapets. Pavlodar and Slavgorod masters Kosarev, Chechetkin and others have built the house according to the design of the architecture Batov. One more peculiarity of the house is a round verandah. Since 1990 the house of the merchant Zayzev is the museum of literature.
Ice palace – “Astana”
It is the unique construction taking 1800 2. The main place occupies a field with artificial ice. The feature is that the surface of artificial ice can be covered with a special polymer partaflor and the ice skating rink turns to a sport hall where it is possible to carry out basketball, volleyball competitions, etc. The refrigeration unit works round the clock, creating unusual fresh and pure atmosphere indoors. There is special machinery for cleaning and leveling of the ice. Besides, there is a gym for men and women, sauna with a pool, six tennis tables, cafeteria and a sportswear shop. The health complex was an architectural novelty of the city. It is one of the favourite places for active rest of people.
The architectural construction of the mosque of Mashkhur Zhusup amazes with beauty and greatness. People will be able to see the main mosque from different parts of the city. The blue dome in the form of shanyrak with a gold half moon, blue minarets directed up to the sky and big stairs distinguish the new mosque. The building is constructed in the form of eight-point star of 48*48 meters, height of the minarets – 63 metres, height of the dome with a half moon – 54 metres. The beauty of the mosque is a crystal chandelier «Zumrad» with 434 bulbs, made in Tashkent. The mosque looks like the heart, open to peace and good.
The monument to the poet S.Toraigyrov was erected on crossing of Toraigyrov and Satpayev streets on October, 25, 2000. Sultanmakhmut Toraigyrov is the Kazakh poet-democrat. He was born in Bayanaul area. Having lived a short life, he left a bright trace in the Kazakh literature.
The monument to the poet is made of bronze, a pedestal from red and black granite. S.Toraigyrov is represented as a lyric poet and romanticist standing by the pine. Tragic elements of the pedestal – combination of red and grey granite and two small pyramids. The pyramids symbolize the poet life. If he had a long life, he would had achieved great success in the Kazakh literatures. The author of the sculpture is the Honored Art Worker Yeskhan Sergebayev. The memorial to S.Toraigyrov decorates the city.
The monuments of history and architecture are cultural heritage of people, that is why they are under state protection.