Code of honour of public servants of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Decree of the President RK № 1567 dated May, 3, 2005
Carrying the public service is an expression of the special confidence from the society and state and makes high demands of morality and ethical image of public servants.
The society expects that a public servant will put much effort, knowledge and experience into the professional activities, impartially and honestly serve the motherland – the Republic of Kazakhstan.
This Code of Honor for Public Servants of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Rules of ethics of public servants) (hereinafter referred to as the “Code”) in accordance with the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “Public Service” dated July 23, 1999, Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “Struggle against corruption” dated July 2, 1998 and generally accepted moral and ethical standards establishes basic standards of behaviour for public servants of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- In their work public servants have to:
1) be committed to the policy of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan and implement it step-by-step, to strengthen the authority of state authority by their actions, to protect interests of the state, to avoid acts that might discredit Kazakhstan;
2) be guided by the principle of legality, strictly observing the Constitution and laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan, acts of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan and other normative legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
3) protect the rights, freedom and legal interests of citizens, to avoid actions causing violation of human rights and freedom of citizens;
4) strengthen the unity of Kazakhstan people and ethnic harmony in the country;
5) strictly observe state and labor discipline, faithfully, impartially and qualitative perform their duties, effectively use the time for this purpose;
6) make every effort for professional work, to apply optimal and economical ways for solution of the set tasks, to protect public property entrusted to, rationally and effectively use it;
7) confront corruption;
8) prevent actions that damage to the interests of public service, not interfere in work of people involved in decision-making on the issues infringing on personal interests of a public servant;
9) pervent the interference in business activities and lobbying the interests of some business entities;
10) not allow the use official information for their own and other personal purposes;
11) not participate in gambling with people who hold a higher or lower or other depending position in the office;
12) not take gifts or services from natural persons and legal entities in connection with performing the public duties;
13) to decline invitations to domestic and foreign tourist, medical and other trips due to Kazakhstan or foreign natural and legal people, excepting the cases set by the law;
14) promote a sustainable and positive moral and psychological atmosphere in the group by their attitude and personal behaviour;
15) resist actions that interfere effective functioning of public organizations and proper performance of official duties by public servants;
16) prevent placement of personnel on the basis of close relationship and personal loyalty;
17) prevent and suppress violations of ethics on the part of other public servants;
18) adhere to a business style of clothing during performance of the duties.
- In relations with citizens and legal entities public servants have to:
1) strengthen citizens’ trust in public institutions;
2) show modesty, not use the official position;
3) not give a cause for justified criticism from the society by their actions and decisions, avoid persecution for criticism, tolerate it, use constructive criticism to eliminate defects and improve the professional activities;
4) prevent display of bureaucracy in consideration of appeals and take necessary action on them within the set time limit;
5) respect the honor and dignity of a man and citizen, regardless of the origin, social and property status, sex, race, nationality, language, religion, place of residence or any other circumstances;
6) observe generally accepted ethical norms, respect the state and other languages, traditions and customs of the people of Kazakhstan;
7) be polite and correct.
- Public servants that have subordinate employees have to:
1) clearly define the objectives and score of authority of subordinates in accordance with the positions they hold, not give subordinates clearly impossible doing orders and not require them to execute the assignments that exceed the limits of official duties;
2) avoid with respect to subordinates of unfounded accusations, the facts of rudeness, humiliation of human dignity, tactlessness;
3) not compel subordinates to commit illegal offences or acts that are not compatible with generally accepted ethical standards.
- Public speaking on the issues of work of public authority is carried out by its head or authorized officials of the public agency. Public servants should discuss correctly without undermining the authority of the public service.
- Public servants should not publicly express their views on the issues of public policy and official work, if it:
1) does not correspond to the main directions of state policy;
2) discloses official information which is not permitted to make public;
3) contains unethical statements to state officials.
- In cases of ungrounded public accusations in the managing of commercial organizations and / or doing business, lobbying for anyone’s interests towards a public servant, he must disclose information to refute such accusations.
- In case of public accusations of a public servant in corruption, he should take measures to refute the accusations, including court order.
- Compliance with this Code is the duty of public servants.
- For violation of the requirements of the Code, public servants may make answerable in accordance with the order established by the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- By the decision of the official, entitled to the appointment and dismissal of a public servant, the collective of public authority may consider the fact of non-observance of the Code and administer a public reprimand by results of consideration.